Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Barcelona - Day 7

350 Kilometers -  217 Miles
Woke early, as usual, but couldn't get on the road right away.  I had to pick up the laundry the hotel did for me during the night.  So, I took a little more time than usual road checking Betsy.    As it has been for the entire trip it just corroborated what I've said all along about these Japanese bikes:  they are engineered for reliability.  I haven't even had to put any air in the tires.  Thank you Mr. Kawasaki.  You do good work.  (Any chance you could give the guys at Garmin a call?)

Fortune smiled, even on the laundry, and it was ready to go when I got back from checking Betsy so down the road we went.  Again, not much in the way of pictures.  There are tons of beautiful scenery all around but these Spanish folks just seem to take it for granted.  In the US, as most of you know, even on interstate highways they put in scenic parking areas so people can stop and enjoy the views and take pictures.  I have not seen one on this entire trip.  If you're traveling down a major highway you barely have emergency parking, let alone the opportunity to take in nice views.  But...I've seen it.  It's why I do this on the back of a motorcycle.

My buddy, Bobby J, says the difference between traveling in a car and riding a motorcycle is the difference between watching a movie and being in it.  He's just so right about that.  Of course, I can report to you that a cattle feed lot in Spain smells much like the one in west Texas.  That part is true too.  Hey...even a rose garden usually has some manure in it!



Pretty scenery (if you like power lines, huh?).  Look beyond that...I can.




Like I said...looks like New Mexico, to me.



Ho-hum.










By the way, that's not the Med...it's called the Gulf of Valencia.  Sort of like the Gulf of Mexico isn't the Caribbean.  (I don't know who decides these things...but he should get a real job.)




 The left side,







Arrived in Barcelona about 1:30pm after just taking it easy down the highway and several coffee stops.  Then I drove through the center of town.  The traffic was the worst I've ever seen anywhere.  I don't think I've ever seen so many motorcycles and motorscooters.

Finally found an Ibis hotel at a great location...next to a big shopping center.  Pulled in, got lost in the underground parking only to find out they were booked up.  So, out I go again looking for a hotel.  By now I'm getting hungry and frustrated so I head out of town, find a place to eat and then locate a business hotel on the way toward Girona.  Nice hotel...the internet works...the beer is good, so here I stay.  At least for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment